This short course is the first part of the toddler toilet learning module for the toddler specialist consultant training pathway.
This short course includes the lessons:
- Urination and the urinary system
- Urination and the urinary system: video
- The bowel and the excretory system
- The process of defecation
- The impact of position on defecation
- Normal defecation frequency and consistency
- The bowel and defecation: video
In this course you will gain a detailed understanding of the physiology of elimination or toileting. This is essential to understand the process of excretion. A physiological understanding underpins much of our consideration of readiness for toilet learning in later courses. We consider interoceptive awareness, sphincter control and more.
We always find that the science of toileting is a lot more interesting than people expect!
Relevant prior learning: It is not necessary to complete the following courses prior to this course, however doing so will give you a good grounding in the relevant background areas.
Core module 3: An introduction to physiology and biochemistry.
Core module 6: An introduction to sensory regulation bundle, especially short course “The interoceptive sense”